Text Box: Historical Museums




Museum Tours :  During All Public Events and by Appointment

 

The Kellogg- Eddy House was built in 1808 by Captain Martin Kellogg for his son and his bride Mary Welles.

 

It is a typical New England two story Georgian style with full attic and basement. It has some Greek influences, a center entrance with an open pediment portico and Doric columns framing a leaded glass fanlight. Two inside chimneys serve the first floor parlors, adjoining rooms and one second floor chamber. A large cooking fireplace and oven are in the original kitchen area. Elaborate woodwork is inside and out ( fluted fireplace pilasters, paneling, bow fat cupboards and outside window cornices). The house remained in the Kellogg-Eddy family until it was sold in 1913 to E. Welles Eddy, a distant relative. In 1928 the house was carefully renovated and a Colonial Revival addition containing an enlarged dining room, kitchen, sun room and more bedrooms were added.  Various sheds were removed and a three bay garage was erected. In 1976 the Town of Newington purchased the house and farm for public use. West Meadow Cemetery is located on part of the former farm land.  The  Newington Historical Society & Trust, Inc. maintains its headquarters and several museum rooms containing many Newington artifacts in the house which is now known as the Kellogg - Eddy House

 

The Enoch Kelsey House was built by farmer and tinsmith Enoch Kelsey and his son David in 1799.  Although common in design, this center-chimney style house features rare free-hand painted wall decorations which imitate wallpaper. Historical Society members discovered the presence of four rare trompe l’oeil, or “deception” paintings on the walls of the structure slated for demolition.  A concerted community effort resulted in the moving of the Kelsey house to its present site on Main Street.

 

The Historical  Society continued its preservation activities of the rescue of the Enoch Kelsey House. Wall paintings and original basement -to-attic  paneling were completely restored by Historical Society members. Also of interest is the original beehive oven & fireplaces. The discovery in three other rooms of additional decorative wall painting, reinforced the major importance of the building as a unique example of a rare early American art form.